History of the School

dance lessons

Established for 75 years

black and white image of a girl performing

The History of The Mayhew School

The Mayhew School is one of the longest established dance schools in Northampton. Since its inception, it has been responsible for training and producing dancers of the highest calibre. Past pupils have gone on to work as dancers, teachers and examiners for many of the world’s leading classical companies and dance organisations. The school was founded in 1941 by Miss Mollie Mayhew, initially with just five pupils. Her first classes were held in Northampton at the Manchester Unity Hall.
As the school flourished and grew, it moved to several different venues within the town; first to the Temperance Hall in Newland, then to premises in Princess Street, St. Catherine’s Street and Abington Square. The school now operates from its main base at Queensgrove Church, with a thriving branch in Blisworth and a new branch for 2016 in Daventry.
children performing
dance show
The school has been hugely successful in competitions at a local and national level, producing winning items at both the All England National Finals and the Classical Greek Dance Festival Finals on many occasions. Since 2009, the school has provided the juvenile cast for the annual pantomime at the Derngate Theatre, Northampton.
 
For further information about any of our dance classes or to find out more about us at the Mayhew School of Dance and Performing Arts, please contact us today.
For dance lessons in Daventry, please call us today on
01604 858 621
graphic of dance

Contact Mayhew School of Dance and Performing Arts

Share by: